Questions for Research: How do religion and animals propose a theme in Life of Pi?
How will I portray common themes and symbols as a unifying concept within both novels?
How do nonhuman things connect to portray human concepts?
Does human nature leads to enlightenment?
Does human nature cause a deviation amongst the path to enlightenment?
Life of Pi: This novel is about a boy who becomes stranded in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal tiger (Richard Parker), a zebra, hyena, and an orangutan. Throughout the 227 days he was stranded, the narrator, Pi, has plenty of time to explore his spirituality and practicality while reaching a significant bond with his animal passengers, specifically, Richard Parker. The theme presented at the end of the novel is that reality is a story; when given the chance to choose, why not pick the "better" story to tell?
Notes- Religion/Animals to portray a theme
Spirituality and practicality
Reality vs. Story? Reality=Story
Beatrice and Virgil: This novella is an allegorical tale representing acts within the Holocaust. It's a journey between a donkey named Beatrice and a monkey named Virgil. These two are stuffed animals who symbolize the fate of the Jews in the Holocaust. I have yet to read this novel, considering my last minute change, but so far I have gathered many commonalities between Life of Pi and this novel, as I will list below.
Notes- Life vs. Art
Truth vs. Deception
Responsibility vs. Complicity
Commonalities: Both novels include prominent animal characters
Both include authors searching for a story/having a story to tell
Stories are told through animals (metaphorically)
Seems as if a journey to enlightenment is found through the animals (directly or indirectly)
Both include authors searching for a story/having a story to tell
Stories are told through animals (metaphorically)
Seems as if a journey to enlightenment is found through the animals (directly or indirectly)
*More to come as I read Beatrice and Virgil*
Connection Notes: "Truth vs. Deception"-"Exploring spirituality and practicality"-"Reality is a story"
Each novel's character's journey to enlightenment has a common goal in a way. (Reality vs Deception?)
Animals uncover the hidden messages life tends to throw our way.
Sometimes, in order to find our true path, we must encounter another (animals allow the deviation-"ferryman in Siddhartha")
Animals-----> ferryman
Sometimes, in order to find our true path, we must encounter another (animals allow the deviation-"ferryman in Siddhartha")
Animals-----> ferryman
ARGUMENT: "Human Nature"
Inside every human is an animal.
Although my thoughts are a little jumbled, I have a basis of where I intend to go with my paper. Clearly, reading the second novel with further my ideas and strengthen what I hope to become a good argument. Discussing animals is a huge aspect, considering that is the main connection between the two novels. My organization has yet to become clear in my head, but I have lots of notes and ideas on paper. Hopefully I can put them together and form a strong thesis and support what I hope to become my main argument.
Excellent proposal. For your outline, show how you will organize your arguments, claims, and evidence. Shouldn't take you long because this is so thorough.
ReplyDelete